April 12, 2011

In Good Company - or how I came to be surrounded by the past



I am fortunate enough to have a mother who dabbles in vintage. She runs her own online store, Memphis Vintage, and eBay shop, so there are always new vintage dresses, shoes and jewelry to borrow (or keep for myself!). Over the years, I've been among the company of Dior, Chanel, Lily Pulitzer and Alfred Shaheen, among many others. But for me, it's not about labels. It's about the story of the dress. I would construct scenes based on the clothes and weave a story from those old and often fragile threads. I loved the possibilities of showcasing such beautiful pieces in new and exciting ways. My favorite pieces over the years to work with were the 1950s prom dresses. Give me a full circle skirt and some tulle, and I am ecstatic over the images I can bring to life that form in my head. I'm definitely more of the behind-the-lens type of girl than the model in front of it because I like to be the artist, the one creating to give birth to the vision in my head.


For years I had imagined myself as a fashion photographer working out of Manhattan, shooting glamourous spreads for the high fashion magazines like Vogue and ELLE that I had grown up reading. While that dream turned out to be more of a hobby than a reality, I still take great pleasure in concocting photo shoot ideas in my head and bringing them to life. Years later, I still love being able to look back through the photos I have taken growing up and analyze the dresses of yesteryear that have waltzed in and out of my life, as well the people that may have also come and gone. I have so many ideas swirling around my head for what may lie in store for Chattanooga photography. Now all I need is another vintage Dior and a Nikon! I'll get on that...

No comments:

Post a Comment